Igbo Wedding Attire: The Bride + Groom
Dalu ndi Instagram! Thanks to the people on Instagram!
Other words used:
- Ola onu – necklace. “Ola” typically represents Jewellery in Igbo language.
- We call the necklace/beads ‘esuru.
- For necklace, we say ọla olu…
- So Ola aka – wrist band or wrist jewel.
- Ola Ukwueze (anklet) na ola aka (bracelet)
- And in northern Igbo bracelet is called Mgba n’aka.
- Also mgbaji ukwu we call Jigida, Jigida – is a Hausa loanword.
- So earings are also referred to as ‘iyori nti’ in some parts on Anambra state. Although my mother doesn’t put “nti” in the phrase. It’s just “iyeri”
- I agree to this and Akwa Ocha as well…that’s for the typical IBO (wedding cloth).