How to say the following words/phrases in Igbo:
- Thank you – Daalu or Imeela
2. How are you doing – Kedụ or Kedụ ka mere? Central dialect or Kedụ ka ị melụ? Northern dialect
3. Hello – Ndeèwo or Kedụ (how are things)
4. Sorry – Ndo
5. I love you – A hụrụ m gị n’anya Central dialect or A fụrụ m gị n’anya Northern dialect
6. Plantain: Ọ̀pịrìmā
7. Table: Okpokoro (also tebulu, tebul)
8. How much: Ego ole? or Ego one?
9. Tomato: There is no Igbo word for Tomato. The fruit is not native to Nigeria, so it’s understandable why none of the three major ethnic groups has a word for it.
In Yoruba it’s tomati, and Hausa it’s tumatir. In fact, the word tomato fit’s nicely into Igbo phonetics so there’s a need to change the spelling.
To translate English to Igbo visit: https://nkowaokwu.com/home
This is part of a series: Answering commonly asked questions about the Igbo culture language and people. Click the link to find more answers to commonly asked questions.